- Position : Software engineer
- Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
- Level of experience : 5+ years
Software Heritage is an ambitious nonprofit, entirely Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) project that aims at collecting, organizing, preserving for the very long term, and sharing all publicly available software in source code form, together with the corresponding complete development history (e.g., from a Version Control System) where available. The Software Heritage archive already contains about 9 billion unique source code files, retrieved from more than 150 million software projects.
Software Heritage headquarters are located at Inria Paris, 2, rue Simone Iff, 75012 Paris, France.
We are looking for a senior back-end developer to grow our development team, and work on:
- implementing new Software Heritage features according to project roadmap and specifications provided by the management team,
- maintaining a healthy code base using state-of-the-art software development best practices (DVCS, continuous integration, unit tests, refactoring, documentation, code review, etc.),
- actively participating in the FOSS communities of software components used by Software Heritage,
- design the architecture of upcoming components of the Software Heritage software ecosystem.
- software development for Software Heritage
- documentation, code review, test and integration
- active participation in team life
- interaction with relevant FOSS communities and with Software Heritage partners
Expected skills for the successful candidate are the following:
- Python development
- Good knowledge of GNU/Linux systems
- Working knowledge of Postgres or other RDBMS
- Working knowledge of distributed software architectures
- Design principles of REST and microservices architectures
- Good English level (written and oral)
- Good relational and communication skills
Working knowledge of one or more of the following techniques and technologies would be a plus:
- Experience with large scale object storage solutions (Ceph, Cloud-based blob storage, ZFS, Swift, etc.)
- Container technologies (docker, docker-compose, kubernetes, etc.).
- System programming in C or Rust
- Functional programming
- Experience with distributed scheduling technologies (RabbitMQ, Kafka, etc.)
All the code developed as part of this position will be released under a FOSS license, usually copyleft (GPL3 or AGPL3). Upstream contributions to FOSS products we depend upon are strongly encouraged.
- Subsidized catering service
- Partially-reimbursed public transport
The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.