Software Heritage is an ambitious nonprofit, entirely Free/Open-Source Software (FOSS) initiative that aims at collecting, organizing, preserving for the very long term, and sharing all publicly available software in source code form, together with the corresponding complete development history (e.g., from a Version Control System) where available. The Software Heritage archive already contains more than 11 billion unique source code files and 2.4 billion commits, retrieved from more than 160 million software projects.
We are looking for a GNU/Linux system administration to grow our operations team, which is critical to the success of the initiative. The team is in charge of:
- Guaranteeing the reliability of day-by-day archiving activities
- Ensuring the integrity and persistence of the Software Heritage archive
- Maintaining an efficient development environment for Software Heritage developers
The infrastructure of Software Heritage (see public system administration documentation) is built using the following technologies:
- operating system: Debian GNU/Linux
- virtualization: LXC, Docker, Kubernetes
- infrastructure automation: Puppet
- storage: PostgreSQL, Apache Cassandra
- messaging: Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ
- filesystems: Ceph, ZFS
- monitoring: Icinga, Promotheus, Grafana
We do not expect candidates to be familiar with all of them, but expertise with one or more of the above technologies will be appreciated.
Expertise with one or more of the following would also be a plus:
- Python programming
- IaaS/PaaS cloud offerings
- System programming in C or Rust
- Participation in FOSS communities
All the code developed as part of this position will be developed openly and released under a FOSS license.
Workplace and salary
The job must be worked on-site at Inria’s Paris headquarters.
The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com. The email must contain the subject line “system administrator”. A complete application should include:
- brief statement of interest in the position,
- links to any previous related work online.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The next priority deadline is 30 Nov 2021, 23:59 CET.
Software Heritage is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status. We value diversity in our workplace.